Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Music rut?

If you've been around these parts a while, you know that music has always been very important to me. Songs can just be so powerful.

However, lately I just couldn't decide what to listen to, nothing I had appealed to me all that much (partly due to deleting a lot of my music?) and I couldn't figure it out. I guessed I was just bored with what little music I had. But that wasn't it.

After spending some time trying to figure out what was going on-did I not like music so much any more? Was it because I didn't want Will listening to Maylene & the Sons of Disaster just yet?-I finally got it. My taste in music had just changed a bit.

Of course, this has happened before, I mean Mariah Carey used to be my favorite, but I guess it's been a while and this is just a slight change. I still like some of the stuff I liked before (Mason Jennings), I don't dislike any of it, and some of it I love more than ever, like JJ Heller and Waterdeep.

My problem is finding new music I like. Most recently I've started listening to some Jon Thurlow (who needs to put out a live album or something, because it's so much better), and Gungor. I'm open to suggestions but not expecting much that I haven't already heard, oh well.

(note: I'm posting this from my iPod and am including a photo of Will, but I have no idea where it's going to show up in the post. Fun huh?)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Reese,

    For new music, I always recommend podcasts. There are a lot of them out there for music. For new music I recommend getting the "Song of the Day" type of podcast from KCRW, KEXP and The Current. Also, NPR's All Songs Considered is a pretty good weekly show that features new music too.

    One band though to recommend that is blowing up right now: Alabama Shakes. So good.

    Also, in the liner notes for the newest album "Tramp" from Sharon Van Etten (which is also good), she has a "Recommended Listening" list:

    The National, Doveman, Wye Oak, Julianna Barwick (I highly recommend her), Doug Keith, Heather Woods Broderick, Bon Iver, Megafaun, The War on Drugs, Doug Paisley, Junip, Lady Lamb the Beekeeper, yMusic (I highly recommend them), Bowerbirds, The Antlers, Olga Bell, Small Black Scary Mansion, Ed Askew, Pure X, Kurt Vile, Meg Baird, Rain Machine, Lowers Dens, Marissa Nadler, Beirut.

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend a local band, Hometown Holiday. Weird name but I like their musica ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Scott, I will have to check those out. I know I like a couple of those bands already (Bon Iver, Beirut), so maybe I'll like a few more.

    Haha Rachel, I thought you just had a thing for one of the band members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now, I like: Mumford and Sons, Jon Foreman, John Mark Mcmillan, and Josh Garrels

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...